Thursday 8 January 2015

Joy Over Envy.

I was taught from a very tender age to celebrate successes and testimonies, whether they are mine or others'.
I was taught to be joyful and happy when good things happen to people around me, whether they benefit me or not.
I was taught to celebrate with those that are celebrating, to rejoice with those that are rejoicing and to have profound respect and compassion for those that are mourning.

I have however, seen a lot of people do the exact opposite of these core values, and while I was also taught not to judge others nor the choices they make, I must say that I do not understand people being upset or envious when others are winning.

And, I ask.
Isn't that what we were all born to do? To win and do well.
Aren't we all meant to thrive? To succeed and grow.

Why then would some rather desire for others to fail? Why would some gloat when another breaks?
Why would some actually go out of their way to plot the downfall of another?
What crooked satisfaction could one possibly derive from seeing a fellow human being broken?

If you know, please tell me. For, I do not.

And, as much as I ponder these things, I still do not comprehend it. As a matter of fact, and, you'll forgive for saying this, but I do not want to.
I refuse to accept that there are people who, for whatever reasons, have chosen to become so twisted as to make envy a pastime.

And, every single day, I make and will make the same choice. I will choose Joy over Envy.
What about you? What do you choose to do when people around you accomplish great things.


No comments: